Carpeting is a popular choice in most homes for its plush feel, aesthetic look, and versatility. Today's carpeting comes in every color and pattern imaginable, in a range of thicknesses, stain-resistant features, and durabilities. Despite the modern innovations that have made tougher, more resilient carpeting the norm, vacuuming is still the main factor that keeps carpets safe from the wear and tear that affects its life. If you have carpet, you need the best vacuum you can purchase.
The vacuum cleaner has maintained the same basic design, but improved immeasurably over the years, so it's best to shop around. We invite you to compare the top brands among the best vacuum cleaners on the market. We chose these ten brands carefully from dozens of contenders, and have handpicked the top upright, cannister, hybrid and robot models. The candidates range from programmable "robot" vaccums to affordable, compact versions like the classic Dust Devil. Which is the best vacuum for your needs, your carpeting, and your family?
1. What Is the Most Powerful Vacuum I Can Purchase?
Cannister vacuums are often more powerful than uprights because they include larger chambers, which creates more of a vacuum effect and hence more ability to suck dirt and debris from the flooring or carpeting. Powerful vacuums are heavier and more expensive, however, and since the amount of power in most well-built machine is sufficient for most jobs, consumers should always consider ease of use.
The standard for power is the Kirby, but at over $1200, and only available through direct demonstration in your home, the better option is to determine your own needs for cleaning and the best vacuum that suits those needs.
2. How Do Cannister and Upright Vacuums Compare?
The best vacuum, like the best exercise, is the one you will use. Cannister and uprights can be comparable in power. Upright is the best vacuum if you are in a small space, such as a mobile home; but a cannister works better for a tiny space (like a car) because of access. Apartment dwellers will prefer the upright. Both models do the job, so the difference between cannister and upright is more a matter of taste than quality.
3. What Are the Advantages of Robot Vacuum Cleaners?
The Roomba brand has revolutionized vacuuming, but before committing to this relatively expensive option consider how often you vacuum and what your space is like. People who own pets, people who like to keep a spotless space, those living in average to large spaces, and those who have similar flooring throughout the house are the best customers for robot vacuums.
These machines need to be programmed, cleaned out, and have a place to sit. In small spaces, they can take up too much room when a small upright would be preferable. But in larger spaces, it's hard to compete with a vacuum that does the work for you.
4. Where Is a Good Place to Buy the Best Vacuum?
If you can, purchasing directly from the company is ideal because you will have a warranty and a place for contact in case there are problems. Especially with more expensive models, it is important to read the warranty. Even the best vacuum can fail, and the consumer should make sure the company that sells it stands behind the product. It pays to either buy a vacuum new or make sure a used vacuum dealer is reputable and has been in business many years. Rebuilt vacuums are a good option, but be sure the brand is well-reviewed.
5. Is There Really a Difference in Vacuum Cleaners … Aren’t They All the Same Basic Design?
It is tempting to believe that since the mechanism of vacuuming is fairly simple, most vacuums will do the job the about the same. When it comes to cleaning, however, the ability to get into tight spaces, turn the machine on and off, easily store the machine, and empty the vacuum bag (or not, if you go bagless) make a difference. If the machine is difficult to maneuver, too heavy, or lacks power it will affect how clean the carpet gets. Vacuum cleaners can last a long time, so it is important to choose the right one for your needs.
How We Reviewed
The ten machines below are the best vacuum cleaners available all-around. Rather than compare only uprights, we designed this list to compare vacuum cleaners across functionality. Which one offers the most convenience? Which is easiest to use? Which machine is best if you have mobility issues, or a tight space? We evaluate each machine by weighing its essential features: price, ease of use, and design. These brands are built by reputable companies and have comparable warranties.
Overall Price Range of This Product
Vacuum cleaners have a wide price range, especially now that more robot-style vacuums are on the market. The smallest, compact units start around $30 and the most expensive models, can run upwards of $1300. Most vacuums of good quality range between $30-$1300, as we illustrate in the reviews below. The best vacuum is not necessarily the most expensive one.
What We Reviewed
- Air clean sealed system. Nominal power consumption in W : 1,100
- 6 stage variable speed Miele Made Vortex silence motor
- HEPA air clean filter. Filterbag volume in Liter: 3.5. Seb228 Electro+
The Electro is on the "best vacuum" list because it combines power, with 1200-watt suction, and outstanding air filtration, with a HEPA filter that is highly rated and, based on customer reviews, highly effective. Cutting-edge technology in filtration and power is combined with smooth, quiet performance.
- Sleek, premium design complements your home décor; includes 1 Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier for more control over...
- 3-Stage Cleaning System and Dual Multi-Surface Brushes pick up everything from small particles to large debris
- Patented Dirt Detect sensors alert Roomba to work harder on concentrated areas of dirt, such as high-traffic zones of...
The Roomba is famous, and rightly so. This compact, flat robot has been featured in film and television and Roomba is the best vacuum in its class (robots) even as robotics improves by leaps and bounds. This quiet machine glides along the floor, thoroughly picking up every speck of dust, hair, and dirt. Programmable functions are simple to use and, once set, the Roomba covers the same route for up to 90 minutes, for as many days of the week as necessary. This machine excels at picking up pet hair and small messes.
One of the most powerful vacuums on the market, this beast cleans nearly any mess and is easy to maneuver. The Sebo features a long hose and a cord that reaches to a 50-foot radius. The bag is easy to remove, the filtration system is excellent, and the cannister itself is generous and requires infrequent bag replacement. The Sebo has a patented rubber bumper that will not scratch furniture.
- Whole home clean with powerful 2-Motor system and HEPA filtration. Item weight is 22.6 pounds
- 2 floor nozzles with convenient and exclusive Pop-n-Go bare floor brush system.Attachment Reach (feet): 10.5
- Motorized pet hair brush and 2 additional versatile cleaning tools with onboard storage. Cord Storage : Retractable
This product enjoys versatility and is a great value at the price. A popular brand, this model features an easily extended floor cleaner, a variety of attachments that store with the machine, so no searching or toting tools around while cleaning. The cannister design works efficiently, and includes a retractable cord and HEMPA filtration system.
- Portable, Multi-Surface Cleaning; Power Rating: 10 amps
- Powerful suction gets the dirt high and low--great for bare floors, rugs and above-floor cleaning
- Easily go from cleaning carpets to hard floors with the flip of a switch
The Zing is designed for any job, whether carpet or floor, is lightweight, and is excellent in small spaces. This small cannister vacuum features a 17-inch power cord and 5-inch hose. Although compact, this unit includes a carpet brush, variable suction control, and a retractable cord. While little in staure, it goes head-to-head with larger and more expensive models and is arguably the best vacuum in its class (compact).
- Adjustable vent system for easy maneuverability on soft style carpeting
- Special soft nylon brush roll bristles - effective, yet gentle on soft style carpeting
- Large front wheels - allows the vacuum to "float" on soft style carpeting making it easy to push and pull
This upright is designed to handle any carpet, no matter how thick. The well-designed black-on-gold Soniclean is the vacuum of choice for those with thick carpet, and is an excellent all-around machine: easy to use, maneuverable, and has the virtue of all uprights - it is lightweight. The suction is sufficient for any carpet and this vacuums works equally well on hard surfaces.
- Lift-Away Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard-to-reach areas
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology + a HEPA filter Traps 999% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum
- Powerful and lightweight Portable and versatile at 137 lbs
The Shark tries to combine the best features of both upright and cannister. It looks like an upright, but functions like a canister. The top portion has the "lift-away" technology that allows the driver to quickly remove the top portion (cannister) and carry it or maneuver in hard-to-reach areas. The lift technology combined with a a long suction wand allows for cleaning everywhere, including ceilings. The shark is less than 14 pounds.
- Only 9.1-Lbs. For easy handling, carrying and storage
- Swivel steering for ultimate maneuverability
- Large dust cup capacity at 2 L
This is a lightweight (under ten pounds) upright vacuum that handles most terrain. It's main selling point is that is easy to use and maneuver at a very reasonable cost. The machine doesn't reinvent the vacuum but handles all surfaces in a user-friendly design.
- LED Headlights: With the LED lights of this home vacuum, you'll get a better view to clean beneath furniture and the...
- All-floor Vacuuming: The 5 height adjustment settings of this vacuum cleaner allow you to switch proper mode on...
- XL Dust Cup: The XL dust cup of the multi-surface vacuum holds more dirt and requires less frequent emptying between...
The Eureka offers a standard upright design with solid power and a decent array of features. This machine is an affordable upright that includes cannister features, with a stretchable hose and a pet "turbo" brush. LED headlights and a large capacity chamber equal labor saving convenience.
- Cyclonic Filtration - cut through messes with constant powerful suction
- Weighs less than 7 Pounds- lightweight design enables it to maneuver easily from room to room
- Bottom Empty Dirt Cup - dump the dirt with the touch of a bottom. Cyclonic Action : Single Cyclonic Air System. Dirt...
The Dirt Devil is the second vacuum on this list with the "bagless" feature, a design innovation to save money on purchasing bags, and to cut down on the mess of removing a full bag. For a smaller machine, this unit can still cover a lot of territory with its 20 foot cord. One of the lightest vacuums we've reviewed, at only 7 pounds, this little models sucks up dirt but not space.
The best vacuum depends on personal needs, but for pure cleaning ability in a home that requires weekly or daily care, and for the least amount of effort, the winner is the Roomba. No other robot vacuum has compares with this brand, despite a parade of likely competition. The Roomba iRobot 690 is more affordable than ever and far outpaces its competition in ease of use. With vacuum cleaners, robots are definitely taking over.